Pages

Saturday, September 02, 2017

Celebrating Human Spirit: Susan Sands

The hurricane in Texas and parts of Louisiana brought devastation to so many of our fellow humans this past week. I've worried about family and friends in both states this week. My people are safe, but
they are not dry. They've lost homes and possessions. Several are elderly and face rebuilding. Some are currently in shelters.

I grew up in Louisiana, but lived in Texas as a young child. Some of my earliest memories are of Hurricane Celia in Corpus Christi, Texas blowing away my swing-set as we peeked out the window after hiding in a closet under mattresses. When Category five Hurricane Andrew blew into Louisiana's coast, I was pregnant with my first child, and we lived in New Orleans at the time. We evacuated inland to Donaldsonville, La. to avoid a direct hit. Unfortunately, Andrew changed course and hit us spot on. It was the scariest twenty-four hours of our lives. When we emerged the next day, it looked like an atomic bomb had gone off all around. The tall grasses were sideways from the wind. It didn't carry with it the same kind of rainfall that Harvey did, but the winds and destruction went on for miles. Katrina hit after I moved away, but it displaced a large number of family members as well. Hurricane Rita hit my hometown and caused damage on my parent's property several years ago. So, I am somewhat of a weather freak. I watch it on television with the same intensity as the Game of Thrones season finale.

I am utterly amazed and horrified at the sheer devastation and flooding of homes and businesses Harvey has wrought. But I'm also heartened by the human spirit and the way people from every background have pulled together and continue to help one another.

Consider any form of help you have to offer the victims. They will need assistance for some time. Certainly, keep them in your thoughts and prayers.

Susan


2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

Floods, hurricanes, and tornadoes are so devastating. My husband's grandma and aunt lost everything in the Baton Rouge flooding last year. They had to start over. And he has distant family in Houston. It's just awful.

Prayers for the region impacted.

denise

Susan Sands said...

Sorry to hear, Denise. Hard to start over so late in life. It all makes me sad. :-(