Pages

Tuesday, March 28, 2017

A Gentle Reminder To Live With Purpose

by Michelle Monkou

Live life with purpose. 

Live a purposeful life.

Live a life with meaning.

I'm sure we've all heard these messages or a variation of the advice. And regardless of our backgrounds and religious faiths, we can come up with an interpretation that contains a few common elements, such as focus, balance, passion.

"Everyone has a purpose in life, and within that purpose [lies] a unique talent just waiting to be expressed and shared with the world." Rachelle Williams, The Chopra Center

"The thoughts you think are not just happenstance; they are within you for a reason, for a purpose, for a destiny you are called to fulfill and that is unique to you. You’ll realize the light of who you really are and why you are here." - Dr. Wayne W. Dyer

 "I am the master of my fate. I am the captain of my soul.'' - Poem Invictus. Oprah Winfrey's mantra.

So we have an idea of what it means and when the advice is given we nod. But living that ideal every day is tough. When a day has gone by in the blink of an eye or a week has zipped through your consciousness, however, you can't readily recall the details, you are existing/coasting from one moment to the next.

I'm not a self-help guru. I know from my personal experience that it takes deliberate effort to live with purpose. Takes more than a wishful heart to have and maintain that focus and balance and passion. And first taking a look at what distracts me from my purpose is one method I use to stay in the zone.

Distractions aren't things or people who will suddenly vanish from our lives. So waiting for pristine conditions just won't happen. Instead, I'm learning to manage those influences in my life. Not everyone understands what I'm doing or why I'm doing it. Therefore, they take it as a personal slight if I no longer give permission to sway me from my purpose.

But while removing distractions, I've added more uplifting activities like reading. I'm a bookaholic, so it's not a stretch. But I'm making a concerted effort to open my horizons and read a lot.
Fiction, non-fiction, poetry--I'm allowing it all to sink in. And I'm giving myself the time to think and reflect on what I've read.

It's a learning process, but I stand by the need to live a life of purpose.

So, I hope that you find your purpose and take the time to enjoy every minute of it.

All the best,

Michelle


Available on Amazon

2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

so true

denise

Unknown said...

bespoke bags
http://asggroup.net/
ASG Europe is the leading bag manufacturer offering bespoke bags. We are the UK bag manufacturers to clients throughout the United Kingdom.