Pages

Sunday, October 23, 2016

The Music Behind What the Gambler Risks

It's no secret that music plays a big part in all of my books, whether they are stand-alone books or parts of a series. Music actually plays a big part in my life - from the time we wake up in the morning until we go to bed, music is usually playing somewhere in the house.

What kind of music is the best music? All of it, really, depending on what else is going on. When I'm cooking, I'll shuffle through all 1432 songs on my iPhone. I have a playlist for when I'm working out, another for when I'm waiting in the carpool pick-up line at bebe's school. When I'm drafting, I'll either have my white-noise app playing (a mix of nature and mellow guitar music) or turn on the light classical station on our TV.

As I'm drafting, though, I'm thinking about pop, country, oldies, rock, and even holiday songs that fit my characters or the plot or a specific scene. And, when the draft is turned in and I'm beginning to think about polishing and revising, those songs become a new playlist - one that gets a pretty heavy workout of its own.

I'm just finishing up my Billionaire Cowboys trilogy - book three released earlier this month - and for that series I actually had a series-specific playlist, and each book had it's own playlist, too. Some of the artists that made the series playlist include Elvis (how could he not? the books were set in Las Vegas, after all!), Kenny Chesney, Smokey Robinson, Train, and Wilson Phillips. Here's a peek into the songs that spoke to me while I was writing What the Gambler Risks: 

Brothers Osborne - 21 Summer
Zac Brown Band - Beautiful Drug
Ashes Remain - On My Own
A Thousand Horses - Smoke & This Ain't No Drunk Dial
Chase Rice - MMM Girl
Taylor Swift - I Knew You Were Trouble
Dierks Bentley - Riser

But the song that got the most play? Sugarland's Run - here's the video, which I absolutely love...it really evokes both Jase and Sabrina, for me:


Okay, readers, your turn to share - does music play a part in  your life? Who are some of your favorite artists? 

Kristina's third Billionaire Cowboys book, What the Gambler Risks, is available now from Crimson Romance. Here is a bit more about Kristina's book:

What the Gambler Risks: 


Best-selling author Kristina Knight's Billionaire Cowboys are back for one final ride with this seductive story of long-simmering feelings and hot Vegas nights.

Twenty-something ice queen Sabrina Smith enjoys the fame and fortune she's found writing self-help books for a largely female audience. Her readers hang on every word of how the Vegas Virgin - an unflattering and inaccurate moniker given to her by a local shock jock - juggles dating, working, and friendships in Sin City.

And that's why Jase Reeves spells trouble.

Jase knows Sabrina's secret - that she's not nearly as cold as she would like people to think - and he's through keeping it. He didn't intend to have a one-night stand with the Vegas Virgin, but now he can't get her out of his head. And he can't keep living this lie.


With Jase back at the tables in Vegas, Sabrina has one goal: stay away from the handsome gambler before he melts her career - and her heart.

Buy What the Gambler Risks: Amazon  B&N  Kobo  iBooks

You can find out more the book and Kristina on her website, and feel free to stalk follow her on FacebookTwitter or Instagram

3 comments:

Kathleen Shaputis said...

I'm a 70's music girl most of the time, Celtic is in my blood for relaxing and writing. I wrote my romantic comedy "Changes in Attitude" listening to Jimmy Buffet songs all day. Music helps set the tone in writing. Great blog!

dstoutholcomb said...

Love music--your playlist is great! I usually have Country on in the house, but I listen to 80s, 90s, New Wave, and Classic Rock in the car.

Denise

Kristina Knight said...

I love Jimmy Buffett, Kathleen! Thanks for visiting!

A little bit of everything plays here, too, Denise...until I'm writing, anyway. Thanks for visiting!