Pages

Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Sarah Morgan: A Tale of Three Cities


I find it hard to decide whether I’m a country girl or a city girl. I love to spend time in the mountains or at the beach, but I also love the buzz, excitement and opportunities of a city.


I live near London and have worked in the city at various points of my life so I know it well.  London is rich in history and culture. We have some of the best museums in the world and I have spent hours at the Natural History Museum with my two sons admiring the dinosaurs, gazed at the Egyptian mummies and the Rosetta Stone at the British Museum and marveled at the Apollo 10 Command Module in the Science Museum. I love to stroll along the river, particularly the South Bank which is always vibrant. On a sunny day it’s a glorious walk, and you can enjoy the sparkle of the water while taking in many famous sights including The Globe Theatre and St Paul’s Cathedral. For a stroll mixed with some shopping, I love the cobbled streets of Covent Garden which has great cafes, talented street entertainers and of course the famous Royal Opera House.  On a sunny day, I think London might be my favorite city, and then I remember Paris……


Paris is famous for its iconic architecture, stylish shopping and of course food. It’s a mere two hours train ride from London, which makes it perfect for a romantic weekend. Stroll along the banks of the Seine and you’ll pass palaces, lush gardens and flower markets.  If you don’t feel like walking then join a boat tour and glide under the bridges while admiring some of Paris’s most famous landmarks, from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame.  If you make it as far as Notre Dame then drop in to the famous bookstore, Shakespeare and Co. Take the stairs up to the top floor and curl up with a book.  The place has a magical atmosphere. When I’m walking through the leafy Tuileries Gardens that stretch between the famous Louvre Museum and the Place de la Concorde, I think Paris might be my favorite city, and then I remember New York……


New York has an energy and vibrancy all of its own, which is why I decided to set my new series there. Arriving in New York for the first time (and the second time and possibly the third!) is like stepping onto a movie set. Whether you choose to explore the expanse of Central Park or admire the iconic view from the top of the Rockefeller Center, there is something for everyone in this city. If you’re in a romantic mood you can sip champagne on the roof garden of the Metropolitan Museum while admiring the skyline and the views over Central Park, or head to Brooklyn and walk back across the Brooklyn Bridge to Manhattan at sunset.

If you feel like a dose of city excitement without leaving the comfort of your sofa, then take a look at my brand new series, From Manhattan with Love.  The first book, Sleepless in Manhattan, is out now.

No comments: