Pages

Friday, November 06, 2015

Addison Fox: Something Handmade

As a writer, I spend quite a bit of time in my head. More than that, I like my quiet moments – walks with the dog, an afternoon curled up on the couch with a book or an hour of yoga – interspersed with the craziness of life. I find in those moments I recharge, refresh and process the world around me.

In keeping with my love of a stretch of quiet, recently I decided I wanted to crochet a blanket. I’ve done crochet on and off through the years, but my skills extended to some very neat rows. So I did what any modern woman does…I decided to go on YouTube and found out how to do granny squares.


While I am definitely looking forward to doing some standard granny square blankets – those colorful blankets that have such a wonderful symmetry – I was more interested in learning the technique and then seeing what I might do with it.

If I do say so myself….I’m incredibly pleased with the outcome! More important, I am proud of the fact that I wanted to learn something and set out to do it. I don’t know that we do that as often as we should as we age. When we’re young, our whole lives are about learning. But as we age, our lives become more about routine instead of embracing something new. It was fun to turn back the clock and get excited about mastering a new skill.

What’s also been fun about the project is how refreshed I’ve been coming back to my writing. While working on my squares, I’ve had a chance to work through plot points, consider characterization and focus on where I want my story to go. It was like a creative 2-for-1, if you will!

So what about you?  Is there a project you’ve been wanting to tackle or something new you’d like to learn? If so, definitely go for it! You never know what you might create!!

Thanks for joining me today!
XO,

Addison

Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in Dallas and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. You can find her at her home on the web at www.addisonfox.com. Her latest book, THE PROFESSIONAL, will be out October 6th from Harlequin Romantic Suspense. You can visit her at her website at www.addisonfox.com

2 comments:

dstoutholcomb said...

I need to finish a quilt I started 30 years ago.

Liz Fielding said...

I love those colours, Addison!