Pages

Saturday, June 06, 2015

Addison Fox: Blockbusters

I’m a huge movie fan. I love going to the movies, a large tub of popcorn in hand, and losing myself in a story for two hours. There’s something truly wonderful about the experience and no matter how often I go, that feeling of excitement as the lights dim and the film begins to roll is nothing short of magical.

I know many look forward to the more serious films that come out for the holiday season. These are the films that end up being nominated during awards season and carry all the gravitas and solemnity that a story can hold. I certainly have several favorites that I’d dub more serious films – and I believe all movies have the ability to transport us – but for my money, I’ll pick a big summer blockbuster every time.

The action! The adventure! The laughter! Does it get any better than that?!?!

While the mediums are considerably different, the need to tell an action-packed story is no different as an author. Every scene needs to work toward the end of the book, laddering up with information, character development and tension until the big scene in the end that answers every question I’ve built along the way.

It’s for those reasons that I believe summer blockbusters have much to teach me about my craft as a writer. The ability to convey all that excitement to my reader is absolutely essential as I build my story. Understanding how to show my tough hero has a heart of gold or my seemingly meek heroine has a spine of steel is a wonderful creative challenge. And the choices I make during the writing process – if done successfully – will show that to my readers as well.

Wishing everyone lots of fun blockbuster experiences this summer – both on the big screen and on the pages of a good book!

Thanks for joining me today.
XOXO,
Addison

~~~~~~~~~~

Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in Dallas and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. You can find her at her home on the web at www.addisonfox.com. Her latest book, SECRET AGENT BOYFRIEND, is out now from Harlequin Romantic Suspense. You can visit her at her website at www.addisonfox.com

1 comment:

dstoutholcomb said...

movie theater popcorn--nothing else comes close