Pages

Thursday, December 18, 2014

Eve Gaddy: Christmas is Coming--And I'm in Writer's Mode

Writer's Mode: That peculiar place writers go when plotting or thinking about or revising or writing their books. If you have a writer in your life you probably don't need that definition. You know.

I can't remember the first time I heard the expression, "I'm in writer's mode." Before I published, I'm sure. I was already very familiar with it since I discovered it the first time I sat down to write a book. It's a state where you're so involved with the book in your head that while you're in a certain place physically, mentally you're in a totally different place and possibly another time. A place known to my family by the impolite term, La-la land.

I have gotten in a lot of trouble over the years from being in Writer's Mode. One of the first times I remember was when my daughter was about eight. I was happily working on a book on my ancient computer when the phone rang.

Me: Hello.
Diana: Mom!
Me: Oh, hi, honey!
Diana: (sounding annoyed as only an eight year old can) Mom, I'm at dance.
Me: Okay.
Diana: (even more annoyed) Mom, you forgot to pick me up!

Oops. Bad Eve.

Another time I remember was when my daughter's boyfriend was running and stopped by our house. It was summer and as usual for a Texas summer, brutally hot. I answered the door, smiled at him and told him she wasn't home. It didn't occur to me to offer him water. He had to ask. In my defense, I wasn't really there.

Oops again. Bad Eve.

My husband, of course, has experienced this phenomena countless times. Quite simply, he loves it. No, of course he doesn't.:)

I am deep in the middle of a scene and he comes in the office and starts talking to me. Me thinking: His mouth is moving. I know he's saying something but I have no clue what it is. I'll just nod and say okay, honey and maybe he'll go away so I can finish this scene. And of course I have no recollection of what he said to me, therefore when he refers to it later I try to convince him that he never told me any such thing.

Oops. Bad, bad Eve.

My son, Chris, is well, a smart-ass. Always has been. He gets it from his father. But I digress. One time when he was younger and had done something stupid (I don't remember what of course.) I asked him why in the world he'd done something. His response was, "I don't know, Mom. I guess the voices in my head told me to do it." To make matters worse, I burst out laughing. He's a funny smart-ass.

They all think it's so amusing that my characters talk to me, but how could I write them if they didn't? That's one of the best things about writing. When the characters either pops into your head or they take the story in a whole different direction and it works out great. There's a saying that Writer's Block is when the voices in your head stop talking to you. Very true.

The first time I met my daughter's husband, Russ, I was, you guessed it, in Writer's Mode. I don't remember this but Diana said he told her he didn't think I liked him. She asked him why. He said, "Well, she just stared at me and didn't say anything." She laughed and explained that no, that was normal. I was just in Writer's Mode.



You ask what this has to do with Christmas? I'm having a hard time getting my decorations up, my shopping done, cooking or any of the other things I'm supposed to be doing. Except listen to Christmas carols. That I can manage.

But when you're in Writer's Mode it's hard to think about Christmas, especially when you're writing about a summer romance. Hmm. Maybe I should try to write a Christmas story this Christmas!

Not a book, but I did write a Christmas poem to get me in the mood.

CHRISTMAS IS COMING AND I'M IN A MESS

Christmas is coming and I’m in a mess
It will just have to happen anyway, I guess.
With boxes galore and presents unwrapped,
They sit on my table and I feel quite zapped.
I do have a tree, I put it up early,
Thank goodness for grandkids, what cute little girlies.
The decorations are lovely,
And the girls are sweet and cuddly.
I’m really quite blessed, because family is key
They’re even better than chocolate candy!
May your Christmas be happy, blessed with family and friends.
That’s all! Merry Christmas! The end!

Eve

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for inviting me to blog today, Lee!

dstoutholcomb said...

love the poem! Merry Christmas!
Denise

Unknown said...

Thanks, Denise. Merry Christmas to you too!

Mary Preston said...

Loving the penguins & the poem.