Pages

Friday, August 08, 2014

Katherine Garbera: The Power of Family

My family is the source for everything I write.  My parents were strong believers in the power of family and we have always been a strong unit.  Growing up we did everything together.  We watched t.v. (for a very limited 30 minutes a day), we grew our own food in a large garden, and we listened to country music and sang along with the radio.

It’s this last bit that inspired me to write HER SUMMER COWBOY.  The country songs I heard on the radio were my companions through many long summer days.  And I knew their stories as well as my own.  I knew that George Jones had lived fast and wild. And that Johnny had finally been tamed by June.  And I fell in love for the first time to Waylon Jennings voice. 

When the Big Marietta Fair was being talked about all I could remember were summers at the fair and concerts that my family always went to.  They were, of course, country artists and we’d sit there all day to get a good seat and then listen to the concert.  It was one of the highlights of my childhood.  And I wanted to bring a little of that to my readers in HER SUMMER COWBOY.

Emma Jean Wells is the daughter of a famous country music singer loosely inspired by Keith Whitley and the granddaughter of a country legend that is an amalgam of George Jones, Johnny Cash, Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson. 

Hudson Scott is a mixture of the badboy who walked through Jesse’s Dream and Tim McCraw’s Indian Outlaw.  He’s tough and sexy and doesn’t really take anything from anyone except for Emma who seems to get under his skin without him even realizing it. 


I hope you enjoy reading HER SUMMER COWBOY. 

2 comments:

Janine said...

I loved this book. My family was never really close and remains that way. So, I enjoy reading about people who have good relationships with theirs.

Unknown said...

Really liked this story!!