Pages

Monday, November 04, 2013

Addison Fox: Fall Back

I’m always amazed how little things can make a big difference. Take the bi-annual clock change. I don’t know about you, but I’d rather take a trip across ten time zones and deal with the corresponding jet lag than the week ahead. Whether we fall back or spring ahead, the week we change the clocks never fails to mess up my personal rhythms.

Why is that?

It’s only an hour. I travel frequently for my job and the time change doesn’t bother me then, so why does it seem so jarring when it’s done for fall and spring.

It took me years puzzling through this (after, of course, muttering that the whole thing was stupid anyway) until it finally hit me. Unlike the gradual minutes of light or dark that add or subtract each day, pending the season, the time change hits all at once. Yesterday I woke up and it was still dark outside and today I woke up at (technically) the same time and it was light.

Since I always see the world around me through the lens of writing and storytelling, I realized that the time change is also a metaphor for the moment my characters find each other. My hero and heroine are going about their lives, day by day, month by month, year by year. But when they find each other, it’s that jarring moment from dark to light. Their world has changed and it’s my job to tell their story, with all the fun moments that ensue.

Once I looked at the time change in this way, and made some sense of it through my writing, I realized maybe it wasn’t all that bad. I might have a week where I’m a little discombobulated, but maybe I won’t be quite as grumpy about it as I usually am. Or I can hope! J

What about you? Do you like the time change? Or does it take you a few days to reorient yourself to the light and dark?

Thanks for joining me today!
XOXO,
Addison

~~~~~~~~~~
Despite early ambitions of being a diver, a drummer or a doctor, Addison Fox happily discovered she was more suited to life as a writer. She lives in Dallas and - thankfully - doesn't have to operate on anyone. You can find her at her home on the web at www.addisonfox.com. Her latest book, THE LONDON DECEPTION, is out now from Harlequin Romantic Suspense.


You can visit her at her website at www.addisonfox.com or on Facebook: www.facebook.com/addisonfoxauthor or on Twitter: www.twitter.com/addisonfox

2 comments:

Pat Cochran said...

I don't like the time changes!

Pat C.

Kaelee said...

I hate the time change. I always have trouble adjusting to it. It's not to bad now that ny husband and I are retired but when you are working it's a big change.