Pages

Friday, December 14, 2012

Nicola E. Sheridan: Not-so-perfect girls.

Ever read about heroine who is a little awkward? Socially inept or has alopecia? Perhaps she's a math nerd or is just a good old plain jane?

I am a massive fan of the not-so-perfect heroine in romance novels. They bring a depth of reality to what is often labeled a superficial genre. I love it when a heroine wobbles on her high heels, has stretch marks, wears comfy bras and couldn't find a matching set of underwear to save her life. As a reader and an ordinary-kind-of-girl myself, I find this completely relatable, and it really makes me like the character.

Now, I'm not saying I can't appreciate a kick-ass heroine who doesn't chafe in tight leather, or a perfect princess whose french manicure is never chipped - I do, its just the ordinary girl getting the guy really does it for me as a reader, and as a writer.

As an author, I get a buzz out of making my heroines a little quirky, because it makes them so much more real (not to mention entertaining) for myself when writing them. However, I think care needs to be taken with this kind of girl. Let's face it no body likes soggy lettuce in a salad -  and an excessively not-so-perfect heroine, just like bad lettuce, can quickly ruin a perfectly good dish!

Have you read any really good 'not-so-perfect' heroines lately? Leave a comment and a name, and you'll be in the running to win an e-copy of the entire 3 book "Magic Series".

Nicola E. Sheridan is a West Australian author who writes paranormal romance; quirky stories of Genies, mythology and romance. The final in the Magic Series, "Magical Redemption" was published in November 2012.

@NicolaESheridan



4 comments:

Pat Cochran said...

I know I've read books with not-so-
perfect heroines, but for the life
of me I can't recall one at the
moment! I've just come back from your website where I read your
"Magical" first chapters. These
are all young women I want to read more about, perhaps I could even
win copies somewhere!

Pat C.

Eleni Konstantine said...

Love reading about not so perfect heroines.

Nicola E. Sheridan said...

Thank you Eleni & Pat :)

Unknown said...

I actually just finished reading "Succubus Blues" by Richelle Mead and okay, Georgina (the protagonist) is a gorgeous succubus, but she can't sleep with someone she actually cares about because she would damn that person's soul, something that makes things rather interesting and keeps her from having everything, which to me makes her not-so-perfect.