Pages

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Scarlet Wilson: And now for something completely different!


Well, maybe!

As a writer for the medical romance line it can be a little hard to search for the Unpredictable word that everyone is looking for these days.
Readers of the medical romance have certain expectations that they expect the writers to meet.  Lots of the medical romances are doctor/nurse, doctor/doctor romances set in hospital or community clinics.  On occasion another profession is allowed to creep in – a policeman/woman, firefighter, paramedic or even a vet.  But when every conference and blog is telling us that the buzzword is “Unpredictable” how do you find it?

This was my problem as I searched for a theme for my second book.  And then I found it – just like that.  The lovely Barrack Obama and his wife Michelle on the TV.  And a little thought crept into my mind – the thought that for the first time in around fifty years we had a First Lady who could potentially be pregnant in the white house.  A few digs around the internet and I found the White House Medical Unit.  The medical service for the President, his family and the White House Staffers.  A theme that had never been captured in a medical romance before.  EUREKA!

But, then again I decided to set my story outside the White House.  Where was the fun if the First Lady gave birth to plan in the White House?  And so the imaginary setting of Pelican Cove was born.  Think of a cross between Murder She Wrotes Cabot Cove, but set on the Californian Coast.  And cue a reconciliation story between Abby Tyler, a paediatrician in the ER and Luke Storm, the President’s cardiologist – who is completely out of his depth when the First Lady’s obstetrician has a massive coronary and leaves him in charge of the delivery!

Don’t you love it when a plan comes together?  Or even better, falls apart?

Have you read any stories in unusual settings that just captured your heart and imagination?  I loved The Surgeon and the Cowgirl by Heidi Hormel, one of last years final four of New Voices and centred around a therapeutic horseback riding centre.  Now that was completely different!

The Boy Who Made Them Love Again is out in Dec in the UK
The President’s Baby doctor
Famous neonatologist Lincoln Adams is looking after the US President’s newborn daughter when nurse Amy Carson arrives at the hospital, posing as his very pregnant wife!  Amy’s had first-hand experience of Linc’s skilful hands and he’s the only person she trusts to look after her precious cargo, but trusting him with her fragile heart is another matter…

6 comments:

Liz Fielding said...

What a gorgeous coverd!

Scarlet Wilson said...

Thanks Liz! Have to admit the child in my book is a little older than the toddler shown, but I'm not complaining!

Kaelee said...

I agree it's a gorgeous cover. Now is there a NA one coming. I really hope so. I love the new style of some of the M&B covers.

I guess one of the most unusual settings is Olivia Gates's The Doctor's Latin Lover set in Columbia. It's a Medical from 2005. I have read other books set in South American countries but this one was also set in a MASH type setting.

The Escape Around the World series in HR had a book set in China (And the Bride Wore Red by Lucy Gordon), on a train in India (A Trip With the Tycoon by Nicola Marsh), in Botswana (A Wedding at Leopard Tree Lodge by Liz Fielding) and 5 other neat locations. I know a jilted boss took a honeymoon trip with his secretary to an island hoping to get some work done but didn't. Another featured a hot air balloon race around the world.

Mary Preston said...

I can't recall any unusual settings. I read a book not long ago set in Outback Australia, but that's not that unusual for me because I live in country QLD.

Caroline said...

Great cover AND a great story line Scarlet. I love to hear / read how authors think up their stories and time and time again come up with something different and unusual. Caroline x

Michele L. said...

I completely the new and unusual! I read a urban fantasy that I fell in love with that I would call very different. It is by Kat Richardson called Greywalker. It is a lady who dies for 3 or 4 minutes but is brought back to life. She then has the ability to see ghosts, monsters, etc. in the other realm and interact with them but still lives in the present. Kind of hard to explain but it is such a cool concept and so different.

I just finished reading The Return of The Stranger by Kate Walker. It is her conclusion to the classic novel, Wuthering Heights. It is so cool to see a HEA ending to an award winning novel. I have never seen that done before so that was new to me.