Pages

Saturday, October 29, 2011

What Happens After Dark by Jasmine Haynes

Wow! Isn’t that a great cover! Thanks to the Berkley art department! What Happens After Dark comes out on Tuesday, Nov 1, 2011! The second book in my sexy and emotional DeKnight trilogy, the series continues with the characters from Past Midnight. In What Happens After Dark I give you Bree Mason’s tale (the accountant), a dark story seething with emotion, about life, death, illness, tragedy, and of course, love. Yeah, yeah, I know the stereotype about accountants, but really, they aren’t all boring!! But they certainly aren’t all nice either!

As with all fiction books, it’s make-believe; still, a writer can’t help but put bits and pieces from his or her own experience. That’s what makes every story different despite common themes, because we bring pieces of ourselves into everything we write. In this book, you’ll meet a character named Marbury, an awful man. And here’s where I blended fiction with personal experience. Marbury is patterned after a boss I had several years ago. The incident I remember most from my brief time working for my personal “Marbury” concerned a raise. I felt I deserved one. Don’t we all!? So I practiced what I wanted to say, enumerating all the reasons why I deserved it. I, of course, thought they were all very valid. I was as polite as could be, too, when I sat in the chair opposite him. Oh my God! He went ballistic. He called me a prostitute and some other names which I can’t repeat because this is a G-rated blog. It was traumatic. But despite his blustering, I stuck to my guns, so to speak. And I did get that raise. I was quite proud of myself for remaining steady in the face of his tirade. It had an added benefit, too! That experience helped me create Denton Marbury in Bree’s story. I hope you hate him as much as I did, LOL!

Here’s a blurb on What Happens After Dark, A DeKnight Novel, Book 2.

By day she’s a mild-mannered accountant.
After dark, she’s a willing slave to his wildest fantasies.

Bree Mason longs to be a successful career woman, but secrets keep her chained to the past, afraid to take that next step. And at night, her frustrations are released by the domineering Luke Raven, who gives her what she asks for and more in a sensuous game of master and slave…

But to take control of her life, Bree will have to look within and face the demons of her past. Luke knows the ins and outs of Bree’s body, knows what makes her gasp and sigh and beg. But now he’s willing to push their relationship to the limit—to stand by her side in the light of day and take the greatest risk of all…for love.

You can find an excerpt of the prologue on my website. But I also invite you to visit my blog starting Mon 10/31, where I will give readers an excerpt featuring the above-mentioned Denton Marbury! And don’t forget that through the end of November, I’m offering a free erotic on the blog, too, Beauty or the Bitch.

Here’s a complete list of The DeKnight Novels in order:

Past Midnight
May 2011

What Happens After Dark
Nov 2011

The Principal's Office
February 2012

6 comments:

The Brunette Librarian said...

Congratulations on your new release Jasmine!

The cover is gorgeous. Gotta agree, accountants are NEVER boring :)

rachie2004 AT yah00 *d8t* c0m

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Thank you so much, Rachie! And you're so right, accountants are never boring, LOL! Neither are librarians!

Mary Preston said...

Nice boss. I'm glad you turned the episode into something positive for yourself.

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

I think we all get a creep or two in our working lives, marybelle. But you're right, at least I got to use the experience in a positive way!

Pat Cochran said...

Love the cover! The book sounds great,
look forward to reading it!!

Pat Cochran

Jennifer Skully/Jasmine Haynes said...

Thanks, Pat!