Pages

Friday, October 07, 2011

Celebrating Creativity

As an author, creativity is very important. I don't understand it well, but without it there would be no art or music or stories. . . or computer programs. Though technology sometimes mystifies and confuses me, I understand that it is simply hands-on creativity. When some new piece of technology hits the market (like this week's new version of the iPhone or the new Gears of War game), I shake my head at the ability of some people to make their dreams into a portable, usable format and share it with the world in general. And, as an author, I guess I do that, too!

Very few people in the world personify creativity as much as Steve Jobs did -- his creations changed the world in which we live and in which our children and grandchildren will live.

So, the annou
ncement that Steve Jobs died hit me more than I thought it would.

It's not as though I knew the man personally or even followed him closely, so this gut reaction surprised me. I've been watching all the news bits about him, about his history, about the technology he's created or shepherded into existence and about how his many innovations came about. I find it interesting to see how much creativity is celebrated and honored by him and his life.

I want to share a couple of quotes of his -- this one about how Apple merged creativity wit
h technology --

"Picasso had a saying. He said 'Good artists copy, great artists steal.' And we have always been shameless about stealing great ideas. ... I think part of what made the Macintosh great was that the people working on it were musicians and poets and artists and zoologists and historians who also happened to be the best computer scientists in the world."

And this one -- about loving what you do--

"Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you’ll know when you find it. And, like any great relationship, it just gets better and better as the years roll on. So keep looking until you find it. Don't settle."

Both of those are inspirational to a writer like me -- reminders that unless we follow those voices in our heads and move in the direction our hearts send us, we will never be all that we can be. I don't consider Steve Jobs a saint, but I do think he's changed the world for the better and that's something I'd like to be able to say about my own life, too.

So, in honor of the man, I'm going off to let my creativity flow and to let those voices in my head and the dream in my heart show me the way.....I'm going to spend the day writing.

Do you consider yourself creative? What is your special creative power? Do you create words, pictures, ideas, people, gadgets, calm or what? Post a note and I'll pick a commentor to win a $15 iTunes gift card (I mean, really, what else could I do?!)....



Terri is busy working on her next Harlequin Historical - a new Highlander series! - coming in 2012. Her recent release, MISTRESS OF THE STORM from Kensington Brava, is available in print and digital formats and her short story KIDNAPPING THE LAIRD is available in digital formats! Visit her website for more info about her and her books.

9 comments:

Jo's Daughter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
runner10 said...

I'm not a creative person, but I admire those who are.
I don't think we even realize how much Steve Jobs has changed the world. Time will show how great an impact he had on the world.

Kaelee said...

Steve Jobs was too young to die. He will be missed.

I'm not very creative but I copy really well.

Laurie G said...

I can't sing or dance or draw but I admire people who can. I love to knit.

I recently finished a crib size baby blanket for my soon to be born first grandchild. ( November 4th)

Terri Brisbin said...

Laurie - I used to crochet, but can't now because of the strain on my hands (which I need to reserve for typing and working)...but I've never been able to knit - huzzah to you!

Kaelee and runner10-- LOL! I never considered myself creative until I started writing in my 40s... It's never too late!

Jo's Daughter - I admire people who can put words together into poems. I think it's more a direct link to emotions than storytelling is.

Thanks for commenting!

Terri

Anita Clenney said...

This is so strange. I just got off the phone with my mom who asked if I'd heard about Steve Jobs dying. I haven't seen the news for a while, so I hadn't. What a surprise to open this blog and see his name.

I join you in celebrating such talent and creativity. I'm creative in writing, and I have a talent for taking something and making something else from it, turning a necklace into a ring, using a piece of furniture in a different way than it was meant. Take that old table and paint it, then stick a couple of great baskets under it. Wala, new look.And my husband just rolls his eyes when I can get creative with money when I want something but can't afford it. How can you buy something and make money, he asks. Well, I bought this and returned it and then I bought this over here for cheaper, and so I actually made money on the purchase. We won't mention the initial money spent!

I love twists and turns in my writing and I think it carries over to my daily life as well. But while I can write stories and finagle jewelry, furniture, and finances all day, I can't imagine the creativity this man had. We've all benefited from his gift.

Melanie Milburne said...

Thanks for a great post, Terri. Creative geniuses like Steve Jobs should be celebrated. What he did for the world was amazing.
Creativity is a gift and should be nurtured and encouraged.
Hope your day of writing went well!

Pat Cochran said...

I greatly admire the minds, like that
of Steve Jobs, that have the ability
to devise the electronics which drive
this world. His ilk will likely not
come this way again!

Pat Cochran

Terri Brisbin said...

And the winner of the $15 iTunes giftcard is. . . .

Runner 10!


Please email me at terri @ terribrisbin.com and I'll send you the giftcard!

Thanks to everyone who commented!

Terri B