Pages

Monday, September 05, 2011

I can stop anytime I want -- Susanna Carr

When a friend suggested I had an addiction to reading, I thought it was the most ridiculous thing I've heard. Being accused of reading too much is like being told you eat too many vegetables. It's just not possible. Right?

Everyone knows that reading is a necessary skill. Teachers encourage you to read as much as possible. Parents bribe you to read the classics. What could possibly be wrong with reading for pleasure?

However, it did not help my case when I replied with a "I can stop anytime I want."

Now I'm sounding like an addict. So a bet was made and my pride is at stake. I am not reading a book for 30 days. (I still can't believe I agreed to that!) I've stopped reading books unintentionally when life got too busy. I'm pretty sure I can handle it for a month. Maybe... I'm already getting fidgety and looking at my bookshelf with longing.

I hope that by the end of the month I will stop hearing those questions by my friend. You know the kind: "You bought more books?" or "You went to the library again?" or "Why are you re-reading that book? You already knows what happens."

But first I have to go book-free for 30 days. Wish me luck. I think I'm going to take the edge off and read the back of the cereal box.

Do you get teased about your reading habits?

7 comments:

Paula said...

Yes, I get teased about going to the library all the time. My dh always asked if I am really going to met my "boyfriend" when I go. thank goodness for the kindle. Now I can have over 400 books and no one really knows. LOL

Dr. Debra Holland said...

As a child and teenager, I was constantly told, "Put that book away and do..." It's not that my parents were against reading, but the amount I read...

I've tried to go cold turkey, mostly in college when I had finals week. I've also tried a few other times in my life, and find myself reading cereal boxes, too. I get crabby when I can't read. :)

I know my reading addiction limits my life in that I could do other things like write more. However, I've accomplished a lot and continue to do so, so I'm not going to change. :) People who aren't addicted to reading won't understand.

Sonali said...

Susanna, best of luck! I would never be able to 30 days without reading a book. Forget 30 days, i won't be able to go 3 days without reading.

I don't get teased about reading but my habits sure annoy my friends. Sometimes they will all be talking and i'd have my nose in a book and it'd annoy them because i won't be paying any attention to them.

Melanie Milburne said...

Susanna, I have a house full of books and I don't think I've ever had a break from reading. The only time I got sick of it was after a two week stint in hospital with an infection. I was bed bound and all I could do was read. As it turned out I only stopped for a couple of days. Good luck with it!

Kaelee said...

I couldn't go a month without reading even if it was February. I also get accused of reading too much but at least it's an addiction that doesn't harm anything. Good luck with the challenge. Right about now I would be taking up a hobby that occupied my hands.

Mary Preston said...

No, I have never been teased about my reading habits. I come from a family that devours books. I would be the odd one out if I did NOT read so much.

Michele L. said...

Yes, my hubby can't believe how much I read. I read every single night in bed. I have a TBR pile that is humongous! Plus my keeper shelf is full of books. Sometimes I will stay up late at night reading if a book is so good that I can't put it down. That happens often! It is almost like having a baby and not getting my proper sleep. LOL!

No, I don't think I could go a whole month without reading. I would have withdrawal symptoms plus I probably wouldn't be able to sleep at night.