Pages

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Kathleen O'Reilly: Checking in from RWA, NYC

Hello, all!

Kathleen O'Reilly, on the scene at the RWA National Conference. We're at the very purple and glass Mariott Marquis hotel, the site of this year's conference. There's a lot of energy (possibly because of the Times Square environment), and sightings have included Justin Beiber, Shia La Bouf, and also some pole-climbing dude who stopped traffic for two hour because the cops thought he was a terrorist. Sheesh.

Still, it's all in a typical New York City day. I have no great gossip to report, no new trends. I could make stuff up, because you know, I *do* write fiction, but I'll stick to what I feel is correct. There's a lot of writers who will be self-publishing their own back list. It's the California E-Gold Rush, with lots of prospectors, lots of old timers talking about their high-falootin earnings, and lots of dreams of success, striking the hearts of even the most ordinary mid-list writers. What's different from the typical writing dreams of before, is that the balance of power is shifting (oddly enough) to the writers. Publishers are giving *sales speeches* to authors, agents are talking about the dangers that lurk in them there hills. There's no sheriff, and the are side businesses popping up like gophers. Editors, packagers, cover art designers. Everybody is in there to follow the dreams.

New York Times best-selling author Julia London says there's been a lot of talk about the explosion of ebooks, but for me, this conference has been like many others before it. I started eating at 9am on Tuesday, and I haven't stopped.

Sherri Browning Erwin, author of the upcoming Grave Expectations, has this to say: I came in with grave expectations, and my expectations have been met.

Author Dee Davis, suprisingly enough, had nothing to say, but then promptly recanted.

Author Jacquie D'Alessandro was not available for comment, but made enough of a fashion statement that words were not necessary.

All in all, the conference is full of caffeinated energy, and there's a lot of excitement and good news!

6 comments:

Pat Cochran said...

Hello, Kathleen,

Like so many readers, my wish is to one
year be where you are now: at RWA! RT
was held in Houston several years ago,
but I was a newbie to this world. I did
not know that I could attend and get to
meet some of my favorite authors! Oh
well, I can dream, can't I?

BTW, Love the cover of Just Let Go...

Pat Cochran

Mary Preston said...

These glimpses into the conference are just a tease for us less fortunate beings. Have fun.

Kathleen said...

Hello, Pat,

I am now back home, and conference is done. I have to say, it was a very fascinating conference, with the vibe very different from the norm. Good luck to you, and I hope to see you at RWA soon! And thanks for the nice words on the cover. I got to take a big ole copy home with me. :)

Kathleen said...

Marybelle, it will be interesting to see how these shakes out in a few years.

Jo's Daughter said...

Sounds like fun, I wonder what that outfit Jacqui wore looks like...

Kathleen said...

Jo's Daughter,

Jacquie had on this totally cute black and white polka dotted dress with sort of the poofy skirt like the 50s... Was tots adorable!