Pages

Saturday, May 14, 2011

Shannon McKelden: If I Wasn't a Writer, What Would I Be?

The heroine in the book I’m working on now doesn’t know what she wants to be “when she grows up.” She has a vague notion of what she loves to do, but she’s never been able to do it before. Now that she is free to do as she pleases (having left her family of origin to strike out on her own), it still doesn’t occur to her to follow her bliss.

I feel like I’m really lucky to be a writer...even when it’s hard. I may have a day job, but there’s nothing stopping me from writing my heart out on my free time and pursuing writing as a side career. Sure, I’ve thought of quitting writing before. Like when I have to work at it too hard.

Once, when I gave half-serious thought to putting away the computer and selling all my writing books, I tried to imagine what I’d do instead...not just every day to fill the time, but what I would love to do if I replaced my writing career with another career.
I briefly toyed with the idea that I might be born to sing on stage. I love music and love to sing (although my pretty decent high school choir voice has seriously aged). I had to dismiss that idea, though, because I’m too emotional. I can’t sing an emotion-filled song, even in my car, driving down the highway, without crying. Which stuffs up my nose and makes me look blotchy. Not a look concert-goers would be looking for.
Another alternative would be art-related. I love crafts and used to tole paint, sew, etc. Most of these hobbies when by the way-side when I got tired of the outlay of money they required with the lack of return. At least writing is free.

If stuck making a career choice outside the realm of the creative, I’d be hurting. Writing fits me in every way...I can be creative (like I would be with painting or other crafts), it’s free to do (bonus!) and I can express my emotions in the privacy of my own how where my stuffy nose and blotchy face don’t scare anyone.

Guess that means I’ll have to stick to writing. Now...if only my heroine would get a clue as to what she’s meant to do with her life...

What would you do if you weren’t doing what you’re doing and how do you know it would be your passion?

Shannon McKelden is the author of three humorous women’s fiction novels, including her latest, The Kiss Test, a digital book from Carina Press. She lives in the Pacific Northwest with her family, where she writes and runs the website TheHappyWriter.com.

3 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I work with young children, though I have nursed. I'm a people person & since there are billions of us I'm sure I could find something new.

marypres@gmail.com

Jo's Daughter said...

I dream of being a cook. I like to cook a bit at home & even though I know the stress of a restaurant kitchen is not really for me. I still consider cooking great food that people will love as my passion.

Michele L. said...

My passion is art so I would love to be a famous artist. I love making cards, painting, drawing, etc.