Pages

Sunday, October 17, 2010

Teaming Up - Annie West

This month something exciting happens. My story FOR THE SHEIKH'S PLEASURE is released again in an anthology edition with stories by Sue Swift and Meredith Weber. Yay! The collection is called CAPTIVATED BY THE SHEIKH (love that title).

For an author who spends most of her days alone with her imagination and whose books come out usually as stand alone books, being 'between the covers' with others is something out of the norm and rather exciting. It's happened a few times now and it's always fun to see my stories paired with writers I know and love, or when it's writers I'm not familiar with, to discover their work via our shared publication. For instance this time I know Meredith Webber and her work (she's an Aussie romance icon) but I've yet to discover Sue's writing.

I've just learnt that next year one of my sheikh stories will be rereleased with one by Jane Porter (grinning from ear to ear at that news) in an edition called 'The Desert Sheikh's Defiant Queen'.

This got me thinking about pairing up. About what it is about certain stories that make them work in combination, and, since I'm a writer and I love to explore further, what makes other teams work so well.

There's a chemistry in great teams, don't you think? An indefinable something that makes you smile when you think of them together. So, being frivolous, I gathered a couple of pics of the teams that came to mind instantly.

Bogart and Bacall - of course! Though I have to admit Bogart and Hepburn in 'The African Queen' came a close second. Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton. OK, they were as famous for when they weren't together as when they were, but in lots of minds they were a pair and there was no denying the simmering tension bubbling under the surface there.

Ginger Rodgers and Fred Astaire. I love the way they made the most impossible dances look easy and graceful and never lost their smiles. Even to people who've never seen their work they're synonymous with dance.

Then of course there are the comedians. Laurel and Hardy were irresistable as a pair who have stuck in our minds for generations. It's difficult to think of one without the other, which was probably a bit of a nuisance to them, but so good for the box office. Abbot and Costello. Even Bob Hope and Bing Crosby in the 'Road to...' movies. Can you tell I spent wet weekends as a child watching old movies?

And of course it doesn't stop with people. How about peaches and cream or champagne and strawberries?

Do you have a favourite pair? A combination that makes you smile when you think of it? Or is there someone you'd love to be teamed with? (Now, that gets the mind working...).

By the way, if you're interested in finding out more about CAPTIVATED BY THE SHEIKH, go to my webpage to read an excerpt of FOR THE SHEIKH'S PLEASURE. Arik is a born seducer in that story and I think, very appealing, though so much better when teamed with Rosalie. You can also buy the book from Mills and Boon UK or Amazon UK or The Book Depository (no charge for postage anywhere in the world).

24 comments:

Sarah Morgan said...

What a fun post Annie. I loved being reminded of the chemistry between Burton and Taylor and the others.

David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson as Mulder and Scully in the X files had pretty good chemistry and there is some serious sizzling chemistry at the moment in my current addiction The Vampire Diaries - between bad boy Damon and Elena.

I love the cover of Captivated by the Sheikh. I read For The Sheikh's Pleasure first time around and loved it.
x

Annie West said...

Hi Sarah, I'm glad you liked the post. I had great fun searching out the photos! It brought back memories of discovering films from bygone days!

Definitely Mulder and Scully! I haven't experienced The Vampire Diaries yet so that will be a treat in store for me.

Ooh, how terrifc that you enjoyed
'For the Sheikh's Pleasure'. That's music to my ears!

Kandy Shepherd said...

Hi Annie
I love all the pairs and pictures you've chosen for this blog--very inspiring! My teenage daughter has many of the Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers movies on DVD and I enjoy watching them with her. I don't see Fred as a romantic hero when they are not dancing :-) but when they are dancing it is magic!
Congratulations on your inclusion in the anthologies. I'm a big fan of your sheik stories and am looking forward to reading FOR THE SHEIKH'S PLEASURE.

Unknown said...

I loved the idea of "pairing up" and the Two in One books. It gives readers a chance to possibly read an author they've never read before. Great post Annie!

Virginia C said...

Hello, Annie! Congratulations on "For the Sheikh's Pleasure" being a part of the "Captivated by the Sheikh" anthology--a sure triple treat for romance readers : ) Thank you so much for this delightful post! Some wonderful duos have been mentioned, and I'll add three more of my favorites : ) Pierce Brosnan and Stephanie Zimbalist from TV's "Remington Steele". Wonderful romantic sparks and crime solving from a dynamic detective duo! Who could ever resist Pierce Brosnan? Then there's William Powell and Myrna Loy, a superb romantic big screen comedy team, most notably in the "Thin Man" movie series. Sophisticated, sexy screwball comedy at it's best! Last, but never least, the terrificly talented Hollywood dream team of Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. Together, they can break your heart and tickle your funny bone, but they always make you sigh : )

Anna Campbell said...

Annie, what a fun post! And congratulations on being featured in the anthology - and wow to being with Jane Porter in the next one. Actually I think your books complement each other perfectly. Good choice, M&B! I adored Arik's story - you know that, of course! And how wonderful that a whole new audience will discover his lusciousness!

Actually I was thinking about pairs yesterday. I was channel swapping and came across the Royal Ballet's Romeo and Juliet (who actually are a pair in themselves!) with Nureyev and Fonteyn. She was so much older than him but something about the chemistry made her completely convincing as a young teenage girl falling in love. Magic! Definitely a team to join your list!

Helen said...

Hi Annie

I am really looking forward to this book as this is the only book of yours I don't have whoo hoo.

I love all the pairs that you thought of writing the post and I also love Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin yes I spent lots of Saturday afternoons watching movies on the old black and white TV as well LOL and Lady and The Tramp also comes to mind for me and another good pairing chocolates and a good romance book LOL.
Congrats on the release
Have Fun
Helen

Annie West said...

Kandy, how fascinating that your daughter has Astaire and Rogers films. The dancing is superb, isn't it? For me, like you, he was never a tremendous romantic hero and when he sang I preferred not to listen. But dancing together they were terrific.

Hope you enjoy this story when you read it, Kandy. I'm working on another sheikh right now so it's great to hear from another sheikh lover!

Annie West said...

Marilyn, I've discovered some great writers by reading anthologies where I knew one author only. A terrific way to broaden my reading horizons.

Annie West said...

Hi Virginia, what great pairs you mention! I love Myrna Loy and William Powell in the 'Thin Man' series. Haven't seen those for years - hm, I'll have to see if I can get a hold of them. Oh, yes, Irene Dunn and Cary Grant. Isn't it great when people just seem to click on screen like that?

I love the idea of 'Captivated by the Sheikh' being a triple treat!

Annie West said...

Hi Anna,
What a nice compliment - I love the idea of my sheikh story complementing Jane's. Smiling here over Arik's lusciousness - I know you enjoyed that book and between you and me, so do I! I picked it up the other day to look for something and found myself reading on and on thinking 'did I write that?'.

I loved Margot Fonteyn and Rudolph Nureyev! They were fantastic together despite the age difference. I've actually got an old video recording of them together - magic!

Annie West said...

Helen, you're a woman after my own heart - chocolates and a good book work for me! How could anyone pass up that terrific combination?

Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis were quite a pair, weren't they? And as for Lady and the Tramp - that's a terrific romance.

Hope you enjoy 'Captivated by the Sheikh'. It's not being released in that form in Australia as far as I know so you may want to order the UK copy. I'm thrilled to think you've got all my books bars that one! Wow!

Sharon Archer said...

Annie, fun post! Huge congratulations on having FOR THE SHEIKH'S PLEASURE reprinted in that By Request anthology! It's a fabulous story!

As for pairings... I'm going to go totally modern and small screen and say I love Castle. The characters, mystery writer Rick Castle and detective Kate Beckett, strike sparks off each other. And such a good chance to watch Nathan Fillion!

;)
Sharon

Pat Cochran said...

Lots of favorite pairs including
those already mentioned. Add to
the list: Lucy and Desi, better
yet add Lucy and Ethel, Paul New-
man and Joanne Woodward, Johnny
Carson and Ed McMahon, Steve
Lawrence and Eyde Gorme. These
folks have been "partnered" in
their careers as well as in their
real lives.

As for teaming with someone, I have among my life-long partners:
7 of 9 siblings, all of us over
60, at least 20 first cousins (all over 50), & Ken, my spouse of almost 50 yrs.

Pat Cochran

Virginia C said...

It's me again, Annie : )

No comments regarding great duos would be complete without mentioning Rock Hudson and Doris Day! For those of us who love romance reads, watching the amazing romantic comedy sparks between Rock and Doris is a true delight. They were both expert comedic actors--what timing! They were both gorgeous ; ) The real affection that they had for each other, which became a lifelong friendship, radiates from the screen. Need to smile, maybe laugh out loud...watch Hudson & Day : )

Annie West said...

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for the good wishes on Arik's story!

Would you believe I haven't watched 'Castle'? I've got lots of catching up to do.

Annie West said...

Hi Pat! I almost put Lucy and Desi in the blog. They were great, weren't they? Love your list of pairs. Love too your list of family! That's amazing. Sounds like you're going to have a wonderful golden anniversary coming up some time soon.

Annie West said...

Hi Virginia, it's good to see you here. How could I have forgotten Rock Hudson and Doris Day? You're right. They're films had a special something, didn't they?

Michelle Douglas said...

Ooh, Annie, how lovely to be paired up with such wonderful authors -- I can sense your excitement from here! But, as you know, I do find your Sheikhs particularly delicious. They certainly deserve as wide a reading public as possible :-)

Hmm... my favourite pairings? Coffee and cake. Bubbles and baths. Friends and festivities. (think I've just about run out of alliteration for now :-) Thanks for such a fun post!

Vanessa Barneveld said...

Hi, Annie! Congratulations on your anthology editions!

Ginger and Fred immediately danced into my mind. Your post got me thinking about how they got together as a dancing pair. I'll have to research that!

In terms of other combinations, one of my favourites is--and this may sound gross--Nutella and peanut butter on toast or on a spoon. Delicious!

Annie West said...

Hi Michelle, I love the idea of my sheikhs being delicious! What great pairings you came up with, especially friends and festivities. Any excuse for a get together sounds fine by me!

Annie West said...

Hi Vanessa, thanks for popping by! I'd love to know how Frid and Ginger got together. I always felt it a bit hard, I must say that he seemed to get star billing when she did the same dances - hih high heels!

I'm reserving judgement on nutella and peanut butter - sounds...interesting!

Joanna St. James said...

Love ur post and congratulations, I am just gonna add my voice to Vampire diaries, you have to watch it to understand the way Damon and Elena's pairing work

Mary Kirkland said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who said Damon and Elena. lol

This is a great blog post, so much fun. Congratulations on the book, that's so awesome.