Pages

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Midsummer AAAAHHHHH's

Yes, we've all heard of the February BLAHS. Well I'm here today with the Midsummer AAAAHHHHH's.

That's right. The best things about summer, and as I'm enjoying my new home SO very much, I'm going to bring you my top ten things I love about THIS summer.

1) My pool. Yes, it costs a fortune to maintain, and it's a pain in the ass sometimes. But I love it. The kids love it. I love watching my kids in it, as they grow more and more confident. It is a master procrastination tool. It relaxes me so much I nearly fell asleep in my floaty chair and roasted my...

2) Eating outside. I barbeque outside and I eat outside. Not only that, but it's only a step inside the door and I'm at the kitchen. No toting plates and food around and about...the patio table is about 6 steps from our actual dining table.

3) Which brings me to the deck. The deck is the structure that keeps on giving, all day long. I can drink coffee, plug in the laptop, eat lunch, watch the kids swim, read a book...it is the QUEEN of multi-function.

4) The clothesline. After spending all of my married life without one, I now have one and I love it. I love the smell of fresh clothes, and even better, fresh bedding.

5) Walking without parkas. Sounds silly, but it's so nice to just put on a pair of sneakers and sunglasses and be ready to go...and this year, to be in a lovely neighbourhood where walking is enjoyable.

6) The smell of grass and flowers. Every day when I open the windows I can smell freshly cut grass, or flowers. Not cultivated flowers...just whatever is growing in the woods or in the bushes; raspberry blossoms, clover, black eyed susans...it all mixes together into this subtle perfume that just says summer.

7) The sound of the birds. I wake every morning to the birds singing. A few hide away in the woods and have the most beautiful songs. I turn up my nose at the crows and blackbirds, but the warblers and finches make it all worth it.

8) Slushie drinks. You didn't think I'd forget this, did you? The dh even bought something called a "Marg-a-rama" for making not only margaritas but pina coladas and even appletinis and slushie lemonade. Sit out on number 3, enjoying numbers 6 and 7 and it's just about a perfect evening.

9) Pedicures. Ok, so I'm dismally behind on this one, usually I make more time for pretty feet in the summer. But i love painting my toenails and wearing sandals.

And number 10......

Reading. On the deck, in the camper, sitting in a lawn chair....some of my fondest memories are of reading in the sunporch of my childhood home. It felt warm and lazy and indulgent. I went through book after book, sometimes one every day. I can't keep up that pace now, though I wish I could. But i have slightly more responsibilities now than I did then. Still, I love the feeling of settling in with a book in the shade.

What are some of your favourite things about summer? Tell me in the comments and I'll draw for a signed cover flat of my latest book, FALLING FOR MR. DARK AND DANGEROUS, and I'll add in some extra goodies!

19 comments:

traveler said...

Summer is my favorite season. I love the heat, the deep blue skies and the sunshine. The soft evenings when I go walking and the early morning beauty. Just sitting on my pation under the umbrella with a novel and a cool drink is soothing and delightful.

Anonymous said...

Well, summer's good because you don't have to worry about blizzards but half the time I hate it because of days like today (and nights like last night -- no a/c, alas). But summer's always great for me because it's another chance to the Mets to probably not make it to the playoffs/world series! LOL :)

Lois

Christine said...

During summer I love to read on my big comfy blue sofa with the windows and doors open. I can feel the breeze wash over me like gentle cooling waves and the light scent only known in summer steals in to tickle my nose. I'm not in the sun but I can enjoy the sunlight warming the bright green grass. I can also watch the deep shade underneathe the trees and imagine that magic lurks there. Well, I know I'll find magic between the pages of a book, and I'm happy to sit here with a book and a cool ice tea all day long.

Anonymous said...

There is nothing better than waking up to a bright summer morning with the sun shining and the soothing warmth. The long, leisurely days spent relaxing in the serenity of my garden, surrounded with books, my delightful dogs watching, and my imagination taking me to another time and place.

diane said...

Summer is a magical time for me. I can devote time to cultivating my vegetable garden. I always look forward to this precious escape from the real world. It gives me pleasure just to sit outside gazing at the sunsets which are always spectacular and memorable.

Anonymous said...

Summer is when I spread my wings and have the freedom to travel to farflung destinations that I have been reading about for months. I can immerse myself in a new setting and treasure this escape. Summers are to be savoured and appreciated since they are short but sweet.

Anonymous said...

I love everything about summer, my oasis that is a paradise where I can read to my heart's content for as long as I would like. The sun's rays which warm my soul, the sounds of birds and the colorful flowers that look like paintings. Living in summer is a romantic interlude.

Aideen said...

Hi,

I'm curious as to how you managed without a clothes line. I mean I know dryers exist and airing cupboards etc but do you wonder now what you did without it?
We're not always guaranteed the sun with our summer but my clothes line is always dressed, thanks to constant wind we do get.
And yes, clothes flapping on a clear day is something I love about summer but it comes nowhere near the feeling of opening the back door, herding four hyperactive boys outside...and keeping them there. Its like a holiday in itself getting them out from under my feet. Cos even if its raining its mild enough to throw on the rain coats and let them at it.
I then throw myself down on the patio, pick a book, add crushed ice and diet coke to a tall glass and Bob's my uncle. My idea of summer time bliss.

I envy you the swimming pool and the weather that so obviously justifies having it!!!

Aideen.

Nell Dixon said...

So envious of the pool, not that we'd ever get enough sun here to make it worthwhile but it sounds so lovely. I love summer evenings sitting on the patio with a drink, the light is fading and the scent of the summer jasmine gets headier. I listen to the water trickling over my pebble pond and watch the bats swoop over the garden

Jane said...

I love the barbecues, summer movie blockblusters, melon salads, the long days where the sun doesn't goes down until it's 9pm, baseball and the summer tv programming(the return of Burn Notice and Made Men.)

robynl said...

I love sitting in our swing inside the screened tent with the summer breezes blowing gently whilst listening to the water fountain's soothing melody near by and reading or just relaxing. The birds are chirping and saying 'this is a nice day, enjoy'.

Estella said...

What do I love about summer?
Flower garden, vegetable garden, sandals, sunshine, blue sky, outdoor barbecues with family and friends, curling up in a chair on the deck with a good book.

Annie West said...

Donna, your lovely post made me think yearningly of summer. We're in winter here in Australia here, so I'm day dreaming. One thing I love about summer is the longer days when I can head outside to enjoy the pool, BBQ etc, potter in the yard or read. Those extra daylight hours are bliss!

Annie

Donna Alward said...

Aw, thank you everyone! See...I knew I wasn't alone! Though I have to say...after the last few days I've really busted my butt working in this huge yard and then cleaning a house that is twice the size of my last one! Still...I do love it.

I'll come back first thing in the morning and choose a winner!

Laura Drewry said...

I'm so with you on the "no more parkas" thing! Now that we're back in BC, I spend 11 months of the year in flip flops and have permanently retired my Goose (she says hopefully). I'm saving up for the perfect deck furniture now where, like you, I will spend as much time as humanly possible. If only we could have personal cabana boys. . . :)

Pat Cochran said...

My favorite summer items:
- Spending extra time with the older
grandchildren ( had four of the
boys over during the week)(had the
17, 14, and 10 year-olds over this
weekend)
- The special smells and sounds of
summer (BBQ)
- More reading time!

Pat Cochran

Donna Alward said...

The winner is Aideen! Aideen, if you can e-mail me your mailing addy at donna@donnaalward.com, I'll stick your book in the mail right away.

And by the way - I'm so with you both on the flapping clothes and the sending the kids outside...especially when I'm under a new deadline!

Thanks all for your comments. Today I'm enjoying the INDOORS - it's POURING out!

Jennie Lucas said...

What a great post, Donna. Your vision of summer sounds idyllic. Just gorgeous. Thanks for the fun list. Well, except for the bit about the yardwork. :)

Nathalie said...

Love that number 10!!