Pages

Wednesday, June 11, 2008

How the Magic trilogy came to be ...





I love reading history books. I'm particularly fascinated by anything written about Medieval or Victorian England, or about the U.S. Civil War or Old West. Which means I can as easily curl up with a book by Francis and Joseph Gies or Peter Cross as I can with an historical romance.

My interests have made it very easy for friends and family to buy me gifts. If they don't know exactly what book to buy, they know I'll be thrilled with a gift card from any of the local bookstores. On one such buying binge I found a couple of books on King Arthur, then spent the next couple of weeks delightedly immersed in the ancient legends.

I know you've all heard of Arthur and Merlin, and probably saw Camelot or one of the other movies about their adventures. You likely know that after Arthur was mortally wounded he was carried off to the magical Isle of Avalon. Merlin, that wonderful sorcerer, then proclaims that at Britain's time of most dire need, King Arthur will return – presumably to set things right.

This is where I scoffed. Think about it. Arthur is off on this magical isle, probably seated in a comfy chair and being waited on hand and foot. By the mid-1100's, he's been enjoying the cushy life for several hundred years and hasn't given Britain a thought for an eon. I figure this man is going to need a nudge. But by whom and how?

Thus was born Gwendolyn, the heroine of Midnight Magic. She's the guardian of a spell, fashioned by Merlin and handed down through the female line of Pendragon, to call King Arthur from Avalon at the time of Britain's most dire need. Naturally, there are a few complications!

Gwendolyn has two sisters who have nothing to do with her problem with the spell. The thing was, I figured that since both Emma (Twilight Magic) and Nicole (Magic In His Kiss) were also princesses of Pendragon they should have some special abilities of their own. More on that in my July blog.

Is there a particular period in history that fascinates you? If we had a time machine, where and when would like to visit?

Shari Anton
MAGIC IN HIS KISS, July 2008
Visit my web site

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE ancient Scotland. Ireland too. Greece, Rome. OK, I admit it, I just love history!!!!

Estella said...

I would love to visit medieval Ireland.

Jane said...

I would visit ancient Egypt and Rome.

Dina said...

Hi Shari,

I would like to go to 1800 England or medieval times.

Unknown said...

I would love to visit medival Scotland. Also would go back to the Civil War.

I love the Magic series, I have been waiting for this last book to come out. I just can't wait much. I am going to pre order it. I think I will have to refresh my memory on the other two, which I have on my book shelf.

Shari Anton said...

Oh, some great ideas here! While I'd dearly love to go back to medieval England/Scotland/Wales/Ireland :), I probably wouldn't want to stay too long. I don't even like to go camping, so doing without modern conveniences would probably have me rushing back within a few days!

Virginia -- thanks, m'dear! This last book has been a loonnng time coming. Only a couple of more weeks to go, thank goodness!

soche said...

I'd go to ancient Rome or to the future.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I would love to visit medievel Scotland. I don't know if I could live without all our technology either but at least I could see how the other half lived way back when. LOL

Can't wait to read Midnight Magic.