Pages

Thursday, November 08, 2007

A Town Called Christmas


This is going to be a very Christmasy blog post. I thought it was too early to think about the holidays, but then...

It SNOWED.

About ten inches on November 6th! Even for Michigan, that's too much snow, way too early. :::shiver::: But the benefit is that now I'm in a winter holiday mood, just in time for the release of my new book, A TOWN CALLED CHRISTMAS.

There truly is a town called Christmas here in Upper Michigan, though my version has been fictionalized to suit my purposes. Ah, the joys of being an author--creating new worlds, inventing perfect men...such power!

It was great fun to write about mistletoe, holiday dinners, small town celebrations and especially one of my favorite activities....baking Christmas cookies. Here's the no-bake recipe for the cookies my heroine creates in the book (I remember making these a long time ago but they must have fallen out of fashion because I haven't seen any in years):

CHURCH WINDOW COOKIES

1 12 oz. pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/4 lb. (I stick) butter
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 10 oz. colored miniature marshmallows
flake coconut

Melt chocolate chips and butter in a double boiler. Cool. Add chopped walnuts and marshmallows. Mix. Sprinkle coconut on wax paper and spoon mixture onto coconut in log form. Sprinkle more coconut on top and sides as you roll wax paper over the log. Refrigerate until firm, then remove paper and cut into slices to serve.

The setting of the book is the heroine's family's Christmas tree farm. I didn't have to do too much research there, since my dad has been known as our town's Christmas Tree Man for decades. I've never cut a tree myself, but I've sold 'em! And cut the boughs that are made into wreaths and swags. My house always smells very piney during the holidays.


As an early Christmas present to Tote Bag readers, I'm giving away two copies of A TOWN CALLED CHRISTMAS. I'll choose the winners from the comment section of this blog and post the their names in my next blog, on November 20th.

Meanwhile, it's never too early to start on your holiday baking. What's your family's favorite Christmas cookie?

To read more about my latests releases, including excerpts, visit www.carriealexander.com

19 comments:

Nathalie said...

Gingerbread cookies... isn't it obvious!

Lily said...

I don't eat cookies during christmas time... it is more like a chocolate frenzy!

LisaB said...

Oh, in my family, we go for whatever we can scrouge up! But we make fudge every year. Carrie, this book looks like what I need to feel Christmasy....

Ellory said...

I love making rugelach for Chanukah. I only make it for Chanukah which makes them extra special.

Cherie J said...

Cool post! I have one standard recipe for sugar cookies that I make every year. Then I will try two other new recipes for cookies along with them to add color and variety to the platters that I give as gifts to family and close friends.

Shari C said...

I love almond crescent shortbread cookies and the traditional Christmas sugar cookies.

Anonymous said...

We don't do cookies around here too often that aren't chocolate chip or peanut butter chip. However, I'll sometimes snatch my sister's kids and make decorated sugar cookies to enjoy during the holidays.

robynl said...

Chocolate shortbread cookies decorated with almond slivers and green and red cherries.

Trish said...

Each of the 35 years we've lived in our neighborhood - the women next door make and give church window cookies for us. It wouldn't be Christmas without the Stratton girl's (they are 87, 85 and 83) cookies. So Yummy! Good thing holiday treats don't have calories.

Santa arrives in our area mall tonight - November 9th.

blessedheart said...

I love Christmastime and the snow! My family will eat any kind of cookie that doesn't eat them first! LOL!

Rhonda :)

Maureen said...

We always have way too many cookies but I can't imagine Christmas without chocolate chip cookies.

Lois said...

Cookies! :) Oh heck, I don't care what time of year it is, I'm a regular Cookie Monster!! :)

Then there's always chocolate. . .

Lois

Michele L. said...

My husband and I love the good ol' fashioned chocolate chip cookies with all the gooey chocolate chips fresh from the oven, yum! Also, I love to make snickerdoodles. Actually I love all cookies! I have never met a cookie I didn't like!

felinewyvern said...

I can't believe that you had 10" of snow on my birthday!! It never snows that early here :D
Our family (except for my husband) just love the german spiced biscuits spekulatius. However I always buy them from a local deli as I am hopeless at baking them.

Estella said...

I make cranberry -coconut cookies for Christmas. They are festive looking.

Carol M said...

Someone in our family always makes thumb print cookies.

Unknown said...

Sounds like a great book. The cookies look great too.

Susan P. said...

I love to read cookie recipes though they don't always come out like they are supposed to. We love anything with chocolate chips and/or peanut butter.

Unknown said...

Wow, it snowed? Time seemed to fly so fast...

The holidays...I just love those, especially the food. And thanks so much for sharing your recipe (when I have tome I will tried it out, although like Lily I am also more a fan of chocolate!).


Also hello everyone. Havent been in here for a while and wanted to also wish everyone "Happy Holidays"

Liz