Pages

Monday, April 16, 2007

Sandra Marton Says, Rain, Rain Go Away...

Here in New England, nor'easters are a part of life. A nor'easter, for those lucky enough never to have experienced one, is a major storm that blows up the east coast of the United States with horrendous winds and lots of snow.

Except, this is April. The weatherman doesn't seem to have noticed because the temps here are miserably cold and if there's a sun up there behind those clouds, we haven't seen it in a while. And April is definitely not nor'easter time.

Nevertheless, a nor'easter blew in late Saturday night and spent the weekend and part of today with us. In deference to the fact that it's April, the storm brought rain rather than snow. And I do mean RAIN!!! There's a river a couple of miles from us that's usually shallow and placid. Today, it's running as if the hounds of hell were after it.

Along with the rain came wind. I could hear stuff hitting our house all last night. In fact, I figured looking outside this morning would be, for lack of a better word, interesting. We have lots and lots (and lots) of trees. Well, we lost a number of branches but, thank goodness, no trees. And the bulbs our son planted on the slope in front of our house last fall came through just fine. (The dozens of bulbs, tulips and daffs and gorgeous blue things with a name I can't recall, plus the hard work of planting them, were an anniversary gift from our son and daughter-in-law last June. It was, without question, one of the most loving, most thoughtful gifts we've ever received.)

Back to our nor'easter. It's Monday evening and the rain has tapered off. The wind has pretty much stopped. The sky is the color of tarnished pewter but I do know that it's Spring, thanks to the bulbs poking through the soil. And I just heard the pair of Barred Owls who live in our woods calling to each other as they set out on their nightly hunt. Those calls are a sure sign Spring is really here, no matter how gloomy it looks in our part of New England.

13 comments:

Cherie J said...

I can sypathize since I lived up north years ago. I live in Florida now and I must say the weather here has been beautiful.

Lois said...

I'm in NJ, but we were really lucky and nothing happened. Just a bit damp in the cellar, but that's a bit normal for us because we do have a stream that runs underneath the neighbood's homes.

Now watch, there's going to be a drought for the rest of the summer season.

Lois

Stacia said...

I live in OH & the weather has been pretty rough lately. Definitely doesn't feel like spring. Supposedly we're looking at 60's finally for this weekend. I'll believe it when I see it tough.

~Stacy H.

Sandra Marton said...

It's a strange Spring, isn't it? Some of us have OK weather, some don't. It rained so much and so hard here the past few days that the main line that connects our satellite dish to the house got water inside it! The tech came by today and had to replace it. He shook his head over such a strange happening but we assume it was the combined result of heavy rain (it started up again, after we thought it had stopped), high winds and lots of trees.

I updated my website today while it, yes, rained.

Sandra Marton

Michele L. said...

Oh I just love it when it rains! I live in Northern Indiana 5 minutes from Lake Michigan. It has rained a lot here. Oh by the way I bet your blue flowers you can't remember are called Hyancinths. Do they have clusters of flowers up the stem?

I sure sign of spring here are the robins. They have been everywhere in my yard plucking worms. My yard is pretty wet from all the rain we have had. I just love hearing all the birds chirping their songs to signal that spring is here. The tree frogs rip a good chorus too right along with the birds. It is why I love it here in the spring.

I sure hope your rain levels off soon and warm weather heads your way to bring sunshine and blue skies to happy up your day!

Hugs,
Michele L.

Unknown said...

Hey,

I probably have some ideas how you feel. We are in the middle of April, yet here in IL the weather is still crazy. Today was not that bad, but it was still cold, and if I am not mistaken if was even snowing last week.

Unbelievable, in April, which usually means Spring and rain, there was snow...

Liz

Mona said...

I just realized I've never heard an owl before, though I've heard lots of crows:)

diane said...

I enjoy Spring as long as it is sunny and dry.

sharon said...

Today was one of those dreary days but luckily for the weekend it will become sunny and 80. Can hardly wait.

pearl said...

Looking forward to warmth and sunshine for good now.

flip said...

I live in the drought ridden west. So I have to welecome any rain. I grew up in the midwest and I miss huge thunder storms. Nothing is better than sleeping to the sound of falling raim.

Unknown said...

It is warm here, but we are getting more rain today. It's only supposed to last for one day, so that's not too bad. Bring on the sun!

Mary Kirkland said...

It's in the upper 90's here already. I wish it wasn't so hot so fast.