Pages

Thursday, February 01, 2007

What Day is that again? ~ Vicki Lewis Thomspon


Valentine’s Day is coming, as I’m sure everyone who reads this blog knows. So tell me, who do you think gets more goodies on Valentine’s Day, the guy or the girl?
I hadn’t thought much about this until I did a signing for MY NERDY VALENTINE and a guy came up to protest the implications of the holiday. He was being funny about it, but underneath his joking was a serious complaint. He thought all the emphasis was on what a man should do for a woman on Valentine’s Day.
If you think about the ads on TV, you’d have to say he’s right. And the ads on TV don’t mess around. They imply that nothing says Happy Valentine’s Day better than diamonds. I can’t say I’ve ever actually received a diamond on Valentine’s Day. In fact, I struggled to recall what memorable tokens I have received, and the list is on the smallish side. Mostly I get cards.
Then I started asking some of my girlfriends, and they seemed to remember doing the lion’s share of the Valentine hoopla, if there was to be any hoopla. That made sense to me. In general, women do most of the holiday hoopla, whether it’s wrapping the presents or buying and cooking the food. The other day I mentioned to my hubby that Valentine’s Day was coming up, and he said “What day is that again?”
Ask any woman on the planet and she’ll be able to tell you it’s February 14. I’m guessing this is not true of every man on the planet. If they can’t even fix the date in their heads, what are the chances they’re plotting and scheming to buy goodies and make reservations?
This could be why the ads all focus on what guys need to do for their significant others on the big V-Day. Women remember Valentine’s Day, just like they remember their mother-in-law’s birthday or the anniversary of that all-important first date. Men, not so much. They need ads to remind them.
Me, I don’t even depend on the ads to do the trick. I put my faith in Horace the Dragon. At my house, he’s always ready for the holiday, any holiday. Check him out. Cute, huh? There’s a guy you can count on. I may just ask Horace to be my Valentine this year!

7 comments:

Jennifer Y. said...

I have never had a Valentine...it is just another day to me. That might change though someday. My parents still get me a card and candy or something though.

Unknown said...

Hey Vicki,

Hm...I havent really though about it...but now that I do, I think girls do remember holidays, birthdays and special days more. I am not trying to say that guys dont remember, but to be honest I do think that girls put more effort and are more detailed about it (on most occasions).

And maybe thats why ads put more pressure on guys, or maybe the pressure is there because they want the public to spend more money (on costly jewels and gifts). add to that, in today's society it is expected that guys will/should buy diamonds for a girl and not vice-versa.

*shrugs* who knows.

No matter what,
Hope that everyone will be happy,

Liz

traveler said...

It is definitely a woman's day. Women are always remembering important days and dates. But they expect to be treated in a special way on their birthday, anniversary and Valentine's day. It should be reciprocal.

Unknown said...

Hey traveler, I agree with you about the "reciprocality" rule. And thats why I think it is not asking too much for men to remember the same (you mentioned that "women are always remembering important days and dates", which therefore means that they do remember to treat the men especial on these dates).

Jennifer Y. said...

I agree with you both traveler and liz about reciprocality. I think both partners should do something special for the other.

Jennifer Y. said...

Oh, and to kind of go with this post. My sis-in-law was on the phone with my brother and mentioned something about my nephew needing to take Valentines to school this week. My brother said, "Is it Valentine's Day already?" He, of course, had no idea it was coming up.

Unknown said...

Haha, that was funny Jennifer. One word, "Men"...

Hm...this might seem random, but when I read your post, I also though about this commercial they have on tv. The woman had previously changed the security code, and the husband didnt remember and asked the wife what was the code. She told me it was their anniversary (or some other special day). The husband looked completely lost!

Liz


Liz